Wednesday, October 20, 2004

"A Nationwide Tune-Up -- Every Four Years"

Commuting to work on this cold, drizzly, dreary morning, we saw a beautiful site: on an overpass was a huge Kerry/Edwards sign and on either side of it were four bundled up people jumping up and down and waving smaller signs. The Boss honked and I waved. A huge thank you to those folks who made our morning.

We're going to see Wanda Sykes at the Lisner Auditorium next Friday! Our seats are 2nd row, center. Fan-tastic. I'm stoked. She has a new book out called "Yeah, I Said It." There's a fairly large excerpt online, and this part struck me as appropriate for today:

See, to me, America is like my car. I love my car. And my car is supposed to take me wherever I want to go as long as I keep the "governing" fluids changed and get regular tune-ups. That's what elections are: a nationwide tune-up -- every four years. So that makes the president sort of like...our mechanic. And all we want from him is to just keep our shit running good. That's all. If he can do that without costing me an arm and a leg, cool. But, what if my mechanic was not only incompetent, but constantly lied about what's wrong with my car. A real-live Mr. Badwrench. Actually, more like a Mr. Fucked-up Wrench. Never fixed the car, just kept washing it. That's all, just washing it over and over and over again. My car's falling apart, but "it looks clean." Wouldn't I get a new mechanic? Or at least give another mechanic a shot? Wouldn't I report him to wherever bad mechanics get reported? Damn right. Look, in November, since we can't just up and buy a new car, can we at least get someone to get this bitch up and running?

No comments: