Thursday, October 14, 2004

Cardboard Is Ever So Lovely

I'm going to institute a rule for our housewarming party: If you want to drink our booze, you have to unpack 2 boxes of our stuff and put it away. (Don't panic. I'm just kidding. Actually, I'm not just kidding, but I'll be tipsy by the time people start showing up and will be in no condition to actually enforce the rule.)

I broke out in hives Tuesday night. Joy. The first and only other time this happened to me was about two and a half years ago. I still haven't figured out what causes the little bastards, but they make me crazy. Thankfully, the Tuesday night hives were not nearly as bad as the first time, but still bad enough to keep me up all night scratching and applying Benadryl. I got absolutely no sleep and was still itchy and sore yesterday morning, so I stayed home from work. I managed to do three loads of much needed laundry, unpack some kitchen boxes and carry shoe shelves upstairs. Made me feel better that the day wasn't a total waste. The Dog was very helpful in supervising my endeavors. She was also able to thoroughly explore the basement while I was laundering, which made her infinitely happy. As an added bonus, I found her platypus toy in the laundry basket. The scene that followed was worthy of a of a made-for-TV movie:

The Reunion of The Dog and a Plush, Venomous, Egg-Laying Mammal

Scene I

Me: Hey monkey-butt, look what I found! (holds up platypus toy)
The Dog: (pokes head around corner) Huh?
Me: Here's your platypus.
The Dog: (trots up to Me and grabs the toy) Platypus, it's so good to see you! Oh how I've missed you! I'm sorry we were apart for so long. Now we can run and play together, and I can try to make you squeak even though your squeaker doesn't work anymore.
Platypus: squshhhh squshhhh
The Dog: (joyfully bounds off to show Platypus the wonders of the basement)

End

1 comment:

hrtucker said...

:) I love The Dog. You know, Aldo Leopold referred to his dog as The Professor...

Yeah. Uh-huh.

There.


Deep.