Monday, December 13, 2004

Things That Sound Dirty But Really Aren't

"Buck Lick"

Thanks to my fabulous co-worker, I now have a salt block in my backyard for our resident deer. Yay! A friend who will pick one of these up, bring it over to your house, put it in your yard, hang out in your yard and call you on your cell phone because you're not home to give you a backyard wildlife update, is a friend to keep forever. I'm glad at least one deer showed up while she and her husband were there, because they really deserved a reward for their salt block endeavors. I have been informed (by my co-worker, not the deer) that it is acorn flavored (read the package, did not try it for herself). I am resisting the urge to try it.


© Screaming Pea Productions

I have not yet seen the deer actually using the salt lick, but they are frequently hanging around. The Boss and I went outside Sunday morning to finish the storage shed and were soon surprised by four of them. We all just stared at each other for a while. Two of them easily cleared a portion of chain link fence on the property next to ours. The two others stayed on the other side because the gimpy one couldn't jump over the fence. I guess normally they would've come through our yard to get around it. We decided to go inside for a little bit, hoping that would let the two join up with the others. Gimpy and friend then headed off away from our yard, and showed up a few minutes later on the same side of the fence as the first two. Problem solved and all was well in Deerland.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yay! Been dying to hear how the deerseses are enjoying their new treat. Next time, we'll bring all three flavors and do a taste test. :)