Monday, January 03, 2005

It Can't All Be Merry And Happy

According to a recent PSA test, Dad's cancer is back. There is a chance that the test is a false positive, and we'll find out more over the next couple of weeks after further testing is done. He had surgery November of 2003 for prostate cancer and everything indicated that the cancer was removed and gone. Apparently not. Or new cancer has popped up. For right now, I'm trying not to worry until we get the results from the follow-up tests. The doctor has already discussed radiation and chemo options with dad to some extent, so it's hard to be hopeful that the PSA test was incorrect. (Update: The second PSA test was higher. The scans and other tests didn't show that that cancer had settled anywhere, so Dad will have 8 weeks of radiation as a preventative measure. Not sure when he'll start treatment.)

Gramma is doing okay. She looked a lot better than I thought she would. She was admitted to the hospital in early December for intestinal bleeding, and after two days of tests, it was determined that the problem fixed itself. Well okay. Whatever works. Her Dr. was concerned about her blood pressure, but he knows she's not going to take any medication for it, respects her wishes and lifestyle (she's Christian Scientist), and sent her on her way home and told her to eat and drink whatever she wanted to. She's 91 years old and suffering from common ailments that just happen when your body gets that old. It's hard going home and seeing how her health has deteriorated. I get home every 4 to 6 months, so it's a lot more noticeable to me, than to my family members who see her every day. But given the fact that she's 91, I guess she's doing alright. Mom has a nurse that stays at the house while she's at work. I met her briefly for the first time last week. She's really nice and Gramma likes her. She was a full time nurse for many years, has since retired, and just does part-time work now. Mom and my Sister and I had to sit down and have a "what are our options" talk before I left. That was rough. Mom wants to keep Gramma at home as long as possible, but the time may come when that's no longer feasible. So now we have to start looking into the local "old folks homes" and find out about their facilities, waiting list, etc. I told mom it would be better to do it now and have all the information, rather than wait and have to make a hurried decision should Gramma's health take a turn for the worse. I love my Gramma more than anyone. She's lived with us since I was born and the reality that someday she's not going to be around anymore is making me a total wreck.

My Sister's marriage still isn't great. Her husband is somewhat lazy, unmotivated, irresponsible and financially stupid. People occasionally ask her when they're going to have a kid. She usually answers, "When my husband stops being one." My Sis also used to be somewhat lazy, unmotivated, irresponsible and financially stupid, but she finally grew up to be a very productive member of society. She's become an amazing person and she deserves better.

I rang in the New Year with an ear infection and the flu. For a couple of hours on New Year's Day, I thought I was going to die from nausea. I couldn't understand why I felt so horrible when I'd only had one and a half mixed drinks and one or two glasses of champagne. We had to pick up stuff at The Boss' parent's house that morning before we drove back to DC. Once we got there, they went into medical triage mode with beverages, vaporizing, menthol drops and decongestant, which helped after a while. I slept most of the 2nd, went to work feeling crappy on the 3rd and 4th, and then woke up on the 5th feeling like I'd been hit by a truck and was out of work for three days.

I will now end the "Debbie Downer" portion of the holiday update.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm really, really sorry to hear about your dad. And your grandmother, too. I know how that goes; the last time I was in OH my Grandma asked me out of nowhere if I wanted her piano when she dies because no one else wants it (how no one else could want it is beyond me, but whatever...). Anyway, it was horrible and awkward. :( So at least you didn't have to have the "What Are Our Options" talk WITH your grandmother, right? OK, that's a crappy example of looking on the bright side, but clearly, I'm better at posting with sarcastic comments, but now I don't have one. Just wanted to let you know that despite all evidence to the contrary, I am capable of being a serious listener. Who knew? You know, just in case you need one. I promise to stop bitching about my job long enough for you to vent. Anytime. :) :) :)
Luff,
~r.

Marsha (no need for anonymity anymore) said...

Yeah, Gramma keeps giving me stuff that she wants to make sure stays in the family. She has this irrational fear that when she dies we're going to haul all of her stuff away the week after, which is so contrary to what we'd do with it. My Gramma has the coolest stuff in the world - it's like the entire Antiques Roadshow stuffed into two rooms. I came home after the holidays with some really nice chopsticks, a sake set and a photography magazine from 1900.

And yes, not having to have the talk with Gramma is definitely a bright side (I'll take 'em where I can get 'em). Her hospital visit in December was the first time she'd seen a doctor in about 45 years. But she handled that really well and liked the staff at the hospital, and they freaking loved her. And mom said she never seemed freaked out or upset, so now I feel better knowing that she adjusted so well to a new and stressful situation.

The Dad situation is hard because he never tells us anything. Mom had to make him call me two years ago when he had the cancer surgery. He was going to wait and tell me afterwards. Wha??? But that's just how he is. He had known about his PSA test before the holidays, but didn't bother to tell Mom until after Christmas when we were sitting at the dinner table and he briefly mentioned something. I just kind of nodded and figured Mom would fill me in later. But after dinner she pulls me aside and asks if Dad had mentioned that to me earlier in the week because that was the first she'd heard of it. Umm...no, Mom. I thought YOU already knew. *sigh* He makes us crazy.

Anyhoo...thanks for the listening offer. I know you can be serious, and I really appreciate it. :-)