Friday, September 10, 2004

Adventures in Public Transit

I'm on the train on my way home from work. The guy in front of me is talking on his cell phone. I see this as a good thing. The more people there are on cell phones, the less people there are with the potential to talk to me. There's always someone on a cell phone. They're almost as plentiful as white box trucks. I don't really care about people talking on cell phones when they're going about it in a normal fashion. It's really no different than if they were talking to someone sitting near them. What I can't stand are the "turbo executives" who are totally out of control.

Anyhoo...the guy finishes his normally fashioned conversation and then turns around and says, "Hey, I'm sorry for talking in your ear." I was stunned at first. A considerate person? On the train? During post-work rush hour? Wha??? Had I fallen asleep and drifted into a dream where commuters actually ponder the effects of their actions? I quickly recovered from the shock and managed to get out a "Oh, no problem. Thanks, though" and a smile (secretly hoping the jackass majority won't pull him over to the dark side).

No comments: